Re: KDE human sorting

On Saturday 17 March 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 17/03/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 March 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > How can I get Konqueror and other KDE apps to sort numerical file
> > > names in human-expected way? Such that file3.txt is sorted before
> > > file20.txt
> >
> > I wouldn't have thought that you can.  The usual practice is to make the
> > single-digit files into double-digit ones, eg. file03.txt
> >
> > Anne
>
> I'm pretty sure that I've seen this, though I'm not certain in KDE.
> MySQL, for instance, sorts this way.

The reason I thought it impossible is that file3.txt is an alpha-name, and you
are asking it to consider part of it as numerical.  Of course there may be
macros that can recognise the numeric part and separate them.  I just haven't
come across them.  Long habit has caused me to add the zeros, to make it
easy.

Anne