Re: please help: xv on FC6 x86_64 won't set root window

On Friday 16 March 2007, Eur Ing Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 03:21:06PM +0000, Dave Russell wrote:
> > Phil Meyer wrote:
> > >I saw a script recently that would randomly change the Desktop
> > >background image from a directory of images, and I have read that Gnome
> > >can do that itself, but much of that info has been collected here:
> > >
> > >http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/12/01/random-wallpaper-in-gnome/
> >
> > Or, even better take a look at the gnome applet wp tray  (wallpaper
> > tray) that does the same thing, but nicely configurable and a nice
> > little user interface too.
>
> Why would I (or 'one') want to do that?  It's just a distraction if
> you're actually using the computer.  The first thing I do with any
> distribution (and windows when I use it) is switch to a plain
> background, usually fairly dark blue or green.  Then I cover it up
> with things that I work with anyway.

Horses for courses.  I prefer a desktop largely clean of icons, but like a
cheerful wallpaper.  Each to his own.

Of course kde does almost exactly what was asked for - my wallpaper is
randomly selected from a list, and changed at intervals set by me.

Anne