Re: Networked hard drive

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 15 March 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
I've bought a drive with usb and network connection.
Brand?

Freecom Classic SL

I used the usb to
quickly transfer a large quantity of data, but intended putting it onto
the network after that.  The blurb on the box said it would just pick an
ip by dhcp.  However, it seems to me that I need to know something about
it in order to mount it, and I've got a total blank on where to go next. Nothing appears in /var/log/messages.

I've told the router to reserve an address for it and made an entry
in /etc/hosts.  Since I can't see any sign of it being recognised I
haven't a clue how to mount it.  Any ideas?
Some models don't do standard networked file systems but need a matching
driver (available for windows and maybe mac).

I'll google for that.

Others do smb (windows) sharing and would be visible to a windows box via name broadcasts.

It's not visible to windows either.  Could be my fault, as I told Mikkel.

Anne

Anne

Sorry , I should have read the whole thread before posting...lesson learnt there!

I've been doing quite a bit with the networked drives like this so I'll take a look and see what I can see and post back

Bryan