Re: Laptop recomendations

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 12:36 -0400, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> Do you know if this actually works with X?  Way back when the mountains were young,
> I did some work at a printing company so got very familiar with point sizes. As far
> as I can tell, the "points" that most settings refer to is actually a pixel size and
> not the real "points" in the sense of the per-inch measurement.

If you used computers at that place, you'd have got the font sizes that
you expected because the computer knew the DPI of your rendering
devices.

X can render fonts at the right size if it knows the capabilities of
your system.  We have the wrong use of points on computers because of
those who don't know how to use them properly (people who write font
rendering engines in ignorance), and the computer not knowing the
resolution of the devices its using (printers, screens).  Once those two
things are done properly, you get fonts done properly.

If only Windows got it right, then we'd have less of those damn 6pt flea
writing websites written by incompetent web authors.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.