Re: Laptop recomendations

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Kwan Lowe wrote:

If things are too small, then just increase your font or icon size - Don't
blame the display ??

I have LCD as well and love it !

And make sure that your font configurator knows the true DPI of your
display.  That way it can scale fonts to their true size.

Do you know if this actually works with X? Way back when the mountains were young, I did some work at a printing company so got very familiar with point sizes. As far as I can tell, the "points" that most settings refer to is actually a pixel size and not the real "points" in the sense of the per-inch measurement.

For the older font system, I think you are right. But fonts have gotten a lot better in recent years (for software that supports the newer system).

In System -> Preferences -> Fonts, select Details, then fiddle with the DPI setting. Your desktop fonts will rescale as you do so--not perfectly (fonts do eventually need to be rendered in a box made up of discrete pixels, so there are rounding issues), but every so often you'll see them change to maintain their closest to correct sizes for a screen with that DPI.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu