Re: convert VHS to DVD

Tim wrote:
Mike McCarty:

Actually, usually to remove MacroVision, one needs to *remove* the
"extra" sync pulses it puts in. :-)

It probably would have been best if I'd described the restoration
technique more accurately:  You replace the syncs signal *and* vertical
blanking period.  That takes care of almost everything in one go.

Yep, thus effecting black level restoration as well.

[snip]

There is a simple circuit which needs a couple of pots adjusted
which kills most versions of MacroVision pretty handily. I haven't
built it, but I've looked over the circuit, and it should work.

http://www.hobby-electronics.info/projects/MacrovisionKiller.html

Hmm, output stage looks a bit simple, but a quick perusal at it looks
like it'd do the job.  The kit I built was really only designed to make

Yeah, I didn't like the output stage, either. It consumes a *lot* of
power. It would be much better with active pull-up, or even just an
emitter follower output stage. He's creating a 75 ohm output impedance,
and wasting a lot of power doing so.

Also, I'd rather have a couple of crystal controlled counters than
one-shots controlled by pots. Its one big advantage is being cheap
and easy to build.

[snip]

DRM - Deny Replaying of Material...

:-)