Re: convert VHS to DVD

Tim wrote:

Patrick Doyle:

I once read that, while MacroVision held the patents on their
particular mode of copy protection for video tapes, they also held the
patents on all of the obvious ways to circumvent the copy protection.

Impossible bit of wishful thinking on someone's behalf (like all
fanciful ideas about making it "impossible" to copy something).
Replacing syncs on a video signal is a standard practice in television
studios, when a signal passes through some video equipment.  The idea's
as stupid is trying to outlaw drinking rainwater instead of paying for
the city supply...

Actually, usually to remove MacroVision, one needs to *remove* the
"extra" sync pulses it puts in. :-)

In a TV studio, we'd call such a device a "proc amp" (video processing
amplifier).  Apart from allowing us to replace syncs, we can adjust
various video signal levels at the same time.

I just assumed that there were no consumer "de-macrovision" boxes
available, since anybody who built one would be (presumably) sued by
MacroVision for patent infringement.

You won't get a purpose-built "de-macro" box, not because of a patent
reason, but because of anti-piracy laws about circumventing such things.

Ah, but "Video Clarifiers" and "Video Stabilizers" are quite legal.
Many TVs don't deal well with the AGC fiddling done by MacroVision,
anymore than do tape recorders.

But since there's other devices that'll do the required task (replace
bastardised syncs with normal ones), you can use one of them.  There's
nothing illegitimate about replacing the syncs on a video signal,
there's many reasons why one might need to do that, none of them have
anything to do with piracy.

Yeppers. There is a simple circuit which needs a couple of pots adjusted
which kills most versions of MacroVision pretty handily. I haven't
built it, but I've looked over the circuit, and it should work.

http://www.hobby-electronics.info/projects/MacrovisionKiller.html

Search around for a video stabiliser, or stabilizer, sync re-inserter,
or other device names as have been provided in this thread.  If you
order something from overseas, check that it can work with your local
video standard (60Hz NTSC if you're in America).  You may find such
things advertised as being able to fix up Macrovision, though many have
been threatened by Macrovision for advertising the claim, so they don't
specifically mention that, anymore.

They also have disclaimers on them, like "This device is not for making
illegitimate copies of copyright material." Some even claim that they
"can't" be so used.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.