Re: convert VHS to DVD

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 04:16 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> But what have you actually bought? IANAL - but in essence, you're
> paying for a right to play, under certain very restricted conditions,
> the material that's on that tape

That's the nub of it.  I've paid for the right to listen to or watch the
material that they gave me a copy of.  I care not whether I do so from
the provided medium.  I've paid for a copy / I've paid them to make me a
copy of their work, they've had their money for their services, as far
as I'm concerned.

I apply that philosophy to work I create.  The client gets their
recording, they can do what they like with it.  They've already paid for
its production.

The whole copyright/royalties/record industry issue stinks.  You can't
even do the right thing if you wanted to.  e.g. If someone asks me to
dub music onto their wedding video, I can pay a token $40 fee for the
right to do so, which allows me to do that and sell about 4 copies of
the end result.  But nowhere on the application form does it ask you
what music you're using.  That fee is NOT going to go to the artists or
producers of what you actually used.  It's just a rort to prop up the
music mafia.

Stuff em!  I've spent something like 15 years convincing people they
don't want/need music on their videos, and hiring musicians directly to
compose music for other productions.  Money in the hands of those that
deserve it, and none to those that don't.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.