Re: imap problems; error accessing inbox and some other folders

On Saturday 10 March 2007, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     First off, please let me apologize for cross posting this in both the
> fedora and centos lists.
>
>     I have just run into a problem with imap that's becoming a real issue.
>  About two or three days ago some of the mail folders became
> unusable/unreadable.  For instance, my inbox shows 41 unread messages when
> I access it through pine on the server.  But if I imap into it from
> evolution it shows only one unread message.  I tried thunderbird and kmail
> as well as squirrelmail and these gave some variation of this kind of
> error message:

This kind of problem usually turns out to be corrupted index files.  If you
have access to the imap server, move all the index files related to the
problematic folder onto the desktop (so you can get them back in the unlikely
event that you want/need to).  Next time your mail reader fires up it should
re-create the index files.

This is known to happen from time to time in kmail - but no-one has managed to
tie down the bug.  We all know it happens, but there's no indication of why.

BTW, once you have an unreadable message in a folder it's worth closing your
client and doing this 'cure' before other messages are corrupted.  You will
probably lose that that were unreadable, but the rest should be OK.

There is another scenario, which I don't think is the one you have, in which a
you suddenly can't read messages that were fine a few minutes ago.  I suspect
that this, too, is an index problem, but what often works in this case is to
drag the message(s) you can't read to another folder, then put them back.  It
must re-create the index entry, I think.

Anne