Re: imap problems; error accessing inbox and some other folders

I don't know how to solve your specific issues but maybe this will help avoid them in the future. I'm a long time pine user and have basically the same client and server configuration as you. I was having unexplained random error messages until I configured pine to use imap. Here's a snippet from my .pinerc file that (I think) is all you need to make pine use imap on the local machine.

# Path of (local or remote) INBOX, e.g. ={mail.somewhere.edu}inbox
# Normal Unix default is the local INBOX (usually /usr/spool/mail/$USER).
inbox-path={localhost/novalidate-cert}inbox