Re: Google Earth stuck in graphics emulation

On 10/03/07, Charles Curley <charlescurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
M. Jones is correct, you need the Radeon proprietary driver. The good
folks at Livna have made it available. Enable the Livna repository;
see http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/UsingLivna. Then, to see what's
available, run:

yum list \*fglrx\*

You need a kmod- etc package and a xorg-x11-drv-fglrx package, as
appropriate for your system. Since the xorg-x11-drv-fglrx package
requires the kmod package, run

yum install xorg-x11-drv-fglrx

and you will get both.

Thanks. I did install from linva.

> As per the instructions at http://www.fedorafaq.org/ I drop to
> runlevel 3 after installing kmod-fglrx via yum. I try to run
> ati-fglrx-config-display, but it is not installed! Other than
> installing from the tarball, is there any way to properly configure
> fglrx?

I believe it is now configured correctly out of the rpm package. I'm
sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong. In any
case, I don't have ati-fglrx-config-display on my system, and the
driver works well enough for me to run Google Earth.

It wasn't. I actually had fglrx installed a month ago, but could not
get it to function. Now that I've run fglrx-config-display, we'll see
how goes it.

Now that I've enabled fglrx, I have two new problems:
1) I cannot get my 1400x1050 screen resolution back. CTRL-ALT-+ would
not switch modes (1400x1050 and 1024x768 are configured in xorg.conf)
so I commented out the "1024x768" option in xorg.conf. Now, I can only
get 1680x1050.
2) Google Earth won't start. It's stuck on the Splash Screen, for a
few minutes now. I tried twice, got stuck both times.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/339/megadeth.html
http://dotancohen.com/howto/linksyssetup/index.php