Re: openldap and FDS

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 08:16 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 03:12 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> > p/s   *** I'll be damned- ***
> > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/install/7.1/sn.prepare.decide.html
> > ..says that the default setup files are in /opt! I AM taken aback. My
> > head is hurting from reading this document. I'm really hoping for easy
> > as described in the linux.com article. The RedHat.com article mentions
> > "Enterprise RedHat Linux" (translated $$$$) so I'm looking for the
> > Fedora Version (the cheap seats)
> ----
> probably installs to /opt because of its Netscape roots - more of which
> you will find when you look at the base configuration and certificate
> generation which are clearly Netscape Directory Server pedigree.
>
> Never say never...
>
> Installing Fedora Directory Server is relatively easy but if you don't
> understand how LDAP works and can't operate LDAP basic commands
> (ldapadd/ldapmodify/ldapsearch) from the command line, you aren't likely
> to get very far, whether it's OpenLDAP or Fedora-DS

This was a piece of cake, without doing the command line stuff. I had a
registered version of Netscape Server, that came with the old Caldera
Distro, which set up like a dream. Apache still doesn't come close to
the simplistic and intelligent design that Netscape put into their html
server project. It had a well-designed gui that you could use to admin
your site from anywhere. Click a couple of buttons, restart, it worked
without a stack of documents to read for weeks. It's a damn wonder FDS
is not installed by default. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net