Re: Where is root mail going?

On 09/03/07, Michael Fleming <mfleming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 10:53 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On an FC6 installation that is about two months old, I finally decided
> to route roots email to user. I open /etc/aliases and I see this:
>
> # Person who should get root's mail
> #root:          marc
  ^^^ Note the comment (#) mark.

> Who is marc, and why is he getting root's mail?

He isn't. The above example is commented, you can change "marc" to any
other local username, remove the hash mark and run "newaliases" to have
mail for root redirected to another user (which is one of the first
configuration steps an administrator should take)

>  Should I be worried
> that the machine is compromised?

It isn't, this is the standard Sendmail (and in Fedora other MTAs using
the alternatives system ie. Postfix/Exim) aliases file.

>  How can I check what other users are
> on the system? I don't see any other references to marc.

As previously mentioned, it's an example only and specific to this
file/package.

> Dotan Cohen

Michael.

Thanks. Apparently I hit the panic button too soon!

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/short_answer/what_is_a_router.html
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/51/backstreet_boys.html