Re: FC6 doesn't boot on VIA C3

Am Freitag 09 März 2007 18:37 schrieb James Wilkinson:
> Hans-Jürgen Koch wrote:
> > I'm trying to boot FC6 on an IPC with a VIA C3 (Samuel 2). The kernel
> > comes up without error messages. As soon as a binary from the root
> > file system should be started, the boot process stops without further
> > messages. Keyboard and screen are still working!  Not that the root
> > file system was already successfully mounted by the kernel, and no
> > errors or warnings where displayed on the console.
> >
> > Are there any known limitations of FC6 regarding VIA processors? Any
> > other hints?
>
> Did you install on this PC? Or did you install on another PC and are
> moving the disks to this one?

I installed FC6 on a different PC and copied the root file system to a CF
card, from which the VIA C3 IPC boots.

> As I understand it, gcc thinks that i686
> processors support the CMOV instruction and will use it (when compiling
> for i686 processors) without explicitly testing for it. Via C3s of that
> era didn't, and so gcc-generated i686 code will crash on it.

Yes, that seems to be the reason. Problem is that I need glibc 2.5. If I
replace the Fedora glibc with the binaries from Debian Experimental, I get a
little farther in my boot process. It boots, but I can't login. So probably
all Fedora binaries can contain this illegal instruction.

> As an added complication, you may be using an i586 kernel with an i686
> glibc, due to a well-known FC6 install bug.
>
> If you install on this PC, Fedora should choose the right RPMs
> automatically.

Good idea, unfortunately, the Fedora installer doesn't work on this machine...

> Alternatively, you could do something like
> rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}.%{ARCH}\n" | grep i686
> to find all the i686 packages on the machine, download i586 equivalents,
> and use
> rpm -F --oldpackage *.i586*.rpm
> to replace the i686 packages with i586 versions.

Thanks for that hint.

> There shouldn't be much more than the kernel, glibc, and openssl to
> replace.

I'll find out :-)

Thanks,
Hans