Re: Converter from eps to wmf format?

On 3/8/07, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks, Chris. Yes, I have tried saving as ODG from Inkscape, but the
text is not visible in the ODG figure after conversion. An example is
attached.

And yes, I need that the presentation looks perfect both on screen and in print.

Ouch.  I've not spent any time in OO Draw until now - it's not so good
:(  Then again, I've been spoiled by years of AI use.

Back on topic: I tried various mixtures of vector formats with no luck
- every conversion ended up wonky in OO.  I assume that you have a
good reason for not setting the text in OO Impress - that would
probably bypass the text issues, but...

In order to get your SVG into Impress and make it look good on-screen
and in print, I used this method:

1. Inkscape: Save as EPS [1]
2. GIMP: Open to desired res [2]
3. GIMP: Save as PNG
4. OO: Insert Picture

[1] - tried going straight from SVG to GIMP, but the Inkscape SVG
contains a page border and GIMP renders the whole thing - that could
probably be changed in Inkscape, but I didn't explore further.

[2] - I used 72 DPI.  300 looked terrible on-screen (LCD monitor, in
case it matters).  Printing to an inkjet produced good results, but I
doubt that it would look as good on a laser.

I'm not satisfied with this method, as there should be a way of
keeping everything vector - but I feel that OO is still a work in
progress and (seemingly) doesn't have robust support for vector
objects yet.

I've stumbled across a SVG importer for OO, but it appears to require
Java 5 (aka jre 1.5 a la Sun).  This page has links to the importer
and bugs related to SVG and OO:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SVG_Import_Filter

Anybody: thoughts on this?
Chris