Re: Direct Update FC 1 -> FC6

On 3/3/07, Gerhard Wiesinger <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello!

Ist it possible to do a direct update via yum from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora
Core 6? (without updating FC1 => FC2 => FC3 => FC4 => FC5 => FC6).  Can
some of the versions be updated directly?

Executive Summary:
The question is, which is faster: backing up your home directories and
custom apps and reinstalling from scratch and restoring things to a
new user home tree, doing an anaconda update for every step or yumming
and cleaning up the mess and having some lingering cruft.

Small upgrade jump: yum+cleanup will be faster
Medium upgrade jump: anaconda will be faster
Large upgrade jump: backup/restore+fresh install will be faster

There is some fuzziness as to the definitions of small, medium large
that is dependent on the complexity of your install and the number of
fundamental changes in the distro system architecture.

My experience:
I have upgraded via yum many times but I don't recall ever making such
a big leap (FC1->FC6) in one step. I would suspect that it is equally
if not more dangerous/time-consuming to do the yum update one version
at a time than doing it in one big step. Since there is no consistent
config migration mechanism in yum (one of the main reasons it may
break your machine when doing leaps between distro versions), I don't
see much benefit of doing many small unprotected steps vs. one big
one. You will have to deal with the same amount of mess and might even
miss some particumessy steps.

The story changes when you are upgrading via CD using anaconda.
Anaconda appears to do some version specific config migration so it
would make sense to do the update version by version so as to not miss
out on migration steps that were in previous anacondas but taken out
of more current ones.

In any case, a yum upgrade that large will undoubtedly break things
and possibly leave you system in an unbootable state. With enough
knowledge and sifting through rpmsaves and booting from the rescue
disk, you will be able to fix the problems.

For a single step, the lingering cruft and mess cleaning from yum is
fairly small but is cumulative every step. If you use anaconda for
each step, the cruft is lower but anaconda is slower and the time it
takes is cumulative every step. The backup/restoration of your home
directory process is a one time cost no matter how many steps up you
take but it is likely more time consuming than the single step yum or
anaconda process.

In any case, good luck.
/Mike