Re: Root's mail

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> This is where Kmail stores it. The system is probably putting it in
>>> /var/spool/mail/root. Kmail reads the mail from the system mailbox,
>>> and puts it in its own inbox.
>>
>> But my own email is stored in ~/Mail/
>> (in ~/Mail/inbox/ , etc).
> What program do you use to read your mail?

I use kmail to read my mail, which is stored in ~/Mail .
I also use kmail to read root's mail, which is not stored in ~root/Mail .

>> Was that a choice I made at some point in the long distant past?
>> If not, why does root use a different spot?
>>

> What program do you use to read root's mail? Take a look at the
> dates of the mail in /root/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/ - they are
> probably old messages.

No, all messages for root are stored there.
[I get daily messages there sent to non-existent users on my system.
I might say that I get email by uucp, among other methods.]

You haven't really answered my 2 questions:

1. Why is root's mail stored here?
Was it because there wasn't a directory /root/Mail/
when I first ran kmail as root?

2. Is there any way of changing where root, or any user,
stores email?

I don't see anything in kmail Settings which specifies
where email is stored (after transfer from /var/spool/mail/ ).

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366