Re: PS/2 peripherals

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: PS/2 peripherals

Gareth Howlett wrote:

We’ve got a number of computers sitting around the office that don’t
detect PS/2 peripherals when plugged-in.  If they were plugged-in during
boot they work just fine, but if they were plugged-in after boot they don’t.

1)       Anyone here ever heard of this before?

2)       Is there anything I can do about it (force a kernel re-detect?)

I’ve checked the BIOS settings and I’m using FC4 (2.6.12-1.1447).  Dmesg
and /var/log/messages don’t display anything relevant (in the after-boot
case).

First of all, most (all) PS/2 devices are not designed to be
hotplugged. Depending on the BIOS, it may disable the PS/2 mouse
connection if there is not a mouse plugged in at boot. There may be
a BIOS setting for this. But if I remember correctly, this is a
choice of off or auto.

Depending on your hardware, you may also be running the risk of
destroying the PS/2 device or motherboard circuitry.

Mikkel