Re: We need a new subject- bug fixes

Les Mikesell wrote:
> The same people who use fedora for any other task - like permitting
> inbound ssh access, which is probably more likely to allow their
> machine to be compromised.

I don't think that's true.  But even still, it is an option during the
install.

> These people are better off with standard working configurations
> than mucking around in a poorly documented config file.

These people are better off not having a network connected MTA.  At
the worst they have a network connected ssh daemon and I'd much sooner
trust ssh than sendmail facing the network.

> Perhaps you missed the point that sending is permitted by the stock
> distribution.

I don't use sendmail so yeah, I missed that point.  Not that it's
terribly relevant here.

> But none of the usual fedora invocations to activate a network
> service work.  That is the broken part.

File bugs, suggest improvements.  Do something constructive.

> So why do you think you should qualify as a cheerleader for the way
> the distribution's configuration works?

I never said I qualify as anything.  You don't see any credentials or
acronyms in my sig nor any email domain associated with Fedora.
Thanks for the nifty cheerleader label though.

> If it was handled like all the other programs in the distribution it
> would be unlikely that you would ever have to edit a configuration
> file.

How many other system tools are configured in anything like the manner
in which sendmail is configured?  And if it were so simple to create a
usable GUI or text interface to configure sendmail, then why not write
one or prod the maintainers of sendmail in Fedora to write one?

> No, I don't consider it a bug. It is clearly disfunctional as
> distributed by design.

I've always thought of open source software being a put up or shut up
sort of place.  And I try not to bitch about things I get for free
unless I feel like I have something constructive to add.  But feel
free to disagree.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
    -- W.C. Fields