Re: How to add /sbin to useable paths on FC5

On Sunday 04 March 2007 18:37, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I have a problem when compiling a library. I am upgrading Aldrin, a music
> > app. The latest version needs a library that used to be integrated in
> > Aldrin, but now needs to be installed separately. The library "libzzub"
> > doesn't seem to be available for FC5, at least not in extras, or
> > freshrpms.
> >
> > This library is built using scons, but when I su to root to do a "scons
> > install" it insists on running ldconfig, which it can't as it's not
> > calling /sbin/ldconfig, and lunches out saying there's a problem.
> >
> > I had a look in /etc/profiles, and I'm sure on an earlier version of FC,
> > I added /sbin to the paths, but FC5 seems to be a bit different.
> >
> > What do I need to do, so that it is not necessary to call ldconfig
> > as /sbin/ldconfig?
>
> <-------------------[ SNIP ]----------------------------->

> > Thanks for any help with this problem.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Use "su -" instead of "su" and you will get roots full environment,
> including having /sbin and /usr/sbin in your path. The only
> disadvantage is that you will have to change back to your source
> directory, because after running "su -" you will be in root's home
> directory. (/root)
>
> Mikkel

Before receiving these 3 very quick replies I created a temporary softlink.
ln -s /sbin/ldconfig /usr/local/bin/ldconfig

I've got the library installed using this method, but it's a bit of a hack.

You say above, and I tried "su -", and found myself in roots home directory
with no access to the "SConstruct" file in my /home/user directory.

How do I change back to my source directory after I've done a "su -" ?

Nigel.