Re: delta rpm for yum. is it in the works?

On 2/27/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Valent Turkovic wrote:
> If this has already been discussed sorry for my lack of knowledge.
>
> I probably had to write this a year ago, but I hoped that it would
> happen in Fedora Core 6. When it didn't I was surprised and shocked!

Thats what happens when you assume things would happen on their own
instead of working on it ;-)

I'm not a coder and don't plan to start anytime soon :)
But I can help in other ways. I can BUG other people that do know to
start doing it. That's why I'm on this list :)

> SuSE, Fedora and Mandriva use RPM packages, but Suse (mandriva adopted
> it also) uses delta rpm packages for updated. Which is a GREAT solution
> for updates because they are a fraction of the whole download. Even on a
> high bandwidth ADSL line it takes a lot of time (and banddwidth) to
> download Fedora updates. Delta RPMs are an extreme upgrade to standard
> updated so please consider adopting it.
>
> So I applaud you if this is already in the works for Fedora 7, and you
> get a really, really strange look from me if it is not.

It isnt targeted for any particular release but there is work being done
at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumDeltaRPM

Sorry if my tone seams a bit rough; but a wiki page means nothing to
us users. Is anybody working on this? How seriously are you doing
this? Why isn't it implemented already in FC6 and is it planed for F7?
Others have this nailed a long time ago (in distro time), so I don't
think that Red Hat/Fedora team is any less competend to do this, but
only IF they recognise the importance of such feature!

And it is a REALLY important feature.

> Thank you for all your effort for making Fedora a great distro it is!

You are welcome.

Rahul

If you started a pledge for deltarpm I would donate to it. And I can
write, and bug people :) As I say I'm not a coder.
I'll write a blog post explaining what each major distro is missing
from users point of view. I hope my text makes some changes.

Bye.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241