Re: delta rpm for yum. is it in the works?

Valent Turkovic wrote:
If this has already been discussed sorry for my lack of knowledge.

I probably had to write this a year ago, but I hoped that it would happen in Fedora Core 6. When it didn't I was surprised and shocked!

Thats what happens when you assume things would happen on their own instead of working on it ;-)

SuSE, Fedora and Mandriva use RPM packages, but Suse (mandriva adopted it also) uses delta rpm packages for updated. Which is a GREAT solution for updates because they are a fraction of the whole download. Even on a high bandwidth ADSL line it takes a lot of time (and banddwidth) to download Fedora updates. Delta RPMs are an extreme upgrade to standard updated so please consider adopting it.

So I applaud you if this is already in the works for Fedora 7, and you get a really, really strange look from me if it is not.

It isnt targeted for any particular release but there is work being done at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumDeltaRPM

Thank you for all your effort for making Fedora a great distro it is!

You are welcome.

Rahul