Re: Scanner permission

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:51 -0800
> Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> You're right regarding SCSI vs. USB.  I suspect a similar line in udev
>> might handle USB as well, but I've not tried it.  Regardless, couldn't
>> one could change the /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms file
>> to use 666 permissions?  All the he's really worried about is allowing
>> anyone to use the scanner, not who owns it.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have a /dev/scanner or /dev/usb/scanner device as
> listed in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms; this scanner doesn't
> seem to do whatever it needs to do to create one.
>
> It works, though -- I can scan as root.

The problem is that unless the permission is changed, access to USB
devices are limited to root. I am not sure what scanner you have,
but it looks like it is not one of the ones covered in
60-libsane.rules. You may want to follow the instructions at the top
of that file to add it in. You can get the idVender and idProduct
from /proc/bus/usb/devices, or by using lsusb. After there is a rule
to create the scanner symlink, console.perms should take care of
setting the correct permissions.

Mikkel