Re: Scanner permission

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 12:19 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
>> I am attempting to hook a USB scanner to a FC6 box and have the usual problem
>> of only being able to scan (and find the scanner) as root.
>>
>> How do I go about fixing this?
>
> Well, there's lots and lots of udev rules regarding scanners.  The one
> you probably are most interested in is in /etc/udev.d/50-udev.rules.
>
> Look for the stanza:
>
> ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sg[0-9]*", BUS=="scsi", SYSFS{type}=="[36]", \
>         SYMLINK+="scanner scanner-%k", MODE="0660"

This udev rule is for SCSI scanners, so it probably is not going to
affect a USB scanner.

> and change the MODE bit to "MODE=0666".  That will change the scanner's
> mode to "rw-rw-rw-" next time it's seen, so unplug it and plug it back
> in after the change to /etc/udev.d/50-udev.rules.

This is probably not going to work, because /dev/scanner* and
/dev/usb/scanner* permissions are controlled by console.perms. So
they will be set to mode 600 and owner root is no-one is logged in
at the console, and to the console owner if there is. But if you are
not getting the scanner symlink, then the problem is probably that
it is not covered by rules in 60-libsane.rules

It would probably help to see any log messages generated when you
plug in the scanner.

Mikkel