Re: Some thoughts on "ESR: Goodbye Fedora"

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I read the article by ESR, and agree that it was difficult to tell
> from his rant exactly what problem it was that he had encountered.

And that's rather amusing coming from someone who authored "How To Ask
Questions The Smart Way"[1].

Incidentally, what Eric did was forcibly remove a critical library
while running the development version of Fedora.  Then he didn't just
use the recovery tools available as part of the distro, instead opting
to use a convoluted process involving netcat.  I don't see how anyone
should expect to be treated kindly for bitching about the results of
such foolish actions.  "I don't mean to sound cold and cruel and
callous -- but I am, so that's the way it comes out."  ;)

> However, I do feel that the hostile reaction to ESR is
> counter-productive.

The reason the reaction got hostile is probably because Eric had
threatened to jump ship before (at least once).  In the instance I
recall it was over his belief that proprietary multimedia needed to be
supported.  He got the legalities quite wrong in that discussion yet
continued arguing despite that.  'Tis not a model for how to win
friends and influence people. (Read this[2] long thread for the gory
details.)

> Nobody knows as far as I can see what problems people meet, unless
> they post bugzillas (which in my experience is a fairly useless
> exercise).

I'd have to respectfully disagree there.  The issues I've submitted to
bugzilla have been dealt with as well as could be hoped.  The folks
who maintain the distro work pretty hard at it for the most part.

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
[2] http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2006-March/msg01286.html

No one gets too old to learn a new way of being stupid.