Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Dotan Cohen wrote:

If you want a system that boots up fast, you have the option of
suspend to RAM or suspend to disk. There are advantages and
disadvantages to both, but if they work on your system, they can get
you to a working desktop in a short time.

I'm not looking for fast boot times, rather for snappy system
performance. Slax in RAM is _f_a_s_t_. I really could not believe how
fast the system was. Give it a shot if you're not familiar with it.
Open Office loads in about a second, slowed only by it's splash
screen. Firefox comes up instantly.

That should happen the 2nd time you load something or even better as the 2nd user executing the same program someone else is running on any machine that would have had enough memory for a ramdisk. Anything loaded from disk to ram will normally stay there until the buffer space is needed for something else. Maybe you just need to come up with a way to preload a few programs.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx