Re: Encrypt parts of drive?

Peter Lauri wrote:
> How would this affect speed? I would only have customers data
> encrypted as well as my own working directory where I keep all cvs
> etc.

On most halfway decent/recent systems you won't notice much difference
at all, but that's just my opinion.  I'd say install encfs and give it
a quick try to see if it seems reasonable to you.  It's a fairly quick
and simple thing to setup. :)

> System parts would be without encryption.

You may consider encrypting your swap (or disabling swap entirely if
you have lots of RAM.  That way no confidential data should reach the
disk in any usable form.

There was an article in a recent Red Hat magazine issue on disk
encryption that may prove interesting to you:

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/01/18/disk-encryption-in-fedora-past-present-and-future/

HTH,

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand.
Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand.