Re: accessing shell when gnome locks up.

On 2/26/07, Charles Curley <charlescurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please turn off the HTML mail. Thanks.

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 06:44:42AM -0800, Larry Kelly wrote:

>    I  have Fedora6 with VIA chipset onboard video and Gnome.  Many of the
>    installed  applications will freeze the display screen, and mouse.
When
>    this happens is there a Gnome keyboard shortcut that will give me
access to
>    a shell prompt, so that I can kill the offending process, or restart X
>    windows.  Right now, my only option is to turn the power off.

If you have another computer handy, try:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5405

Or simply set up mgetty so that you can log in through a nullmodem
cable on a serial port. Probably safer, too (if very 90ish).

Andras