Re: Dell says all aboard for Linux PCs

Andy Green wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Controlling the debate is a wonderful thing.  Dell cherrypicked what to
> respond to, did not link to the actual site either on the Press Release
> or the article.
>
> http://dellideastorm.com is the actual site, where this is currently #6:
>
> ''No OS Preloaded
>
> submitted by agreer Feb 17
>
> I have a XP Pro retail copy, will soon buy retail vista, I also like
> Linux: Make WINDOWS-FREE, and OS-Free an option for more than just
> expensive business lines...let me get that cheap-o $500 dimension
> without Windows...please! ''

Yeah, and around the 2,070 mark, we have:
http://www.dellideastorm.com/article/show/63527/FREE_TV_advertising_on_new_Cable_TV_network

Not exactly awe-inspiring stuff, so it's not surprising Dell cherry picked.

> That's one idea Dell "recommends Windows Vista™ Business" don't want to
> give any oxygen to.  And why would any news outlet rock the boat when
> their boat floats on Dell and Microsoft advertising dollars.

Dell are required to "recommend" XP and Vista by virtue of the OEM
agreements they sign with Microsoft.  It doesn't preclude them from
preinstalling other operating systems on their products.  And news is
news; a good news outlet won't give a damn where their advertising
dollars are coming from.

--
William Anderson, Systems Administrator
Concept Systems Ltd. | +44 (0)131 200 4789

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original.