Re: Eclipse running out of memory, or..?

(OT - The quoted message didn't show up in my fedora-list mail, although it was sent there; only in my private mail. Is this normal?)

Andrew Overholt skrev:
Hi,

* Frode Petersen <fropeter@xxxxxxxxx> [2007-02-23 07:25]:
But I am using the Fedora version of Eclipse, which is a precompiled version using the java stack included with Fedora, and since it is precompiled, I don't have access directly to the java VM used, thus I can't use a startup script as you suggested.
>Snip<
Or am I completely confused here?

This is incorrect.  We build the bytecode exactly the same as upstream:
with the JDT Core compiler, ecj.  After the build is done - the exact
same as upstream - we natively-compile all of the jars with gcj to
shared libraries which can be used by gij.

Completely confused then.;-)
Good to get this right.

But you said you were
running with the Sun VM so all you're using is the bytecode.
/usr/bin/eclipse is the binary (native) launcher just like upstream that
is used to spawn the VM.  In the case of Sun, at
least, the memory flags in the file I mention below should be respected.

Because of this there should be some means by which I could configure
the memory usage and possibly other things regarding that VM. I have
not  as yet found any conclusive info on where that configuration is
done in the Fedora version of Eclipse.

You can fiddle with memory stuff (mx, etc.) in
/usr/share/eclipse/eclipse.ini.  It's the same as upstream except that
it's owned by root and managed by RPM instead of just an exploded
tarball :) .
Thank you for this! I'll see if it helps.

You may get some more tips if you ask on fedora-devel-java-list as some
of the people there may have more experience with this kind of
situation.

One thing to confirm is that you are indeed running with the Sun VM.  If
you've downloaded plugins that aren't shipped with Fedora, they don't
contain the gcj-compiled bits and if you're just running with our stock
setup, they'll be purely interpreted by gij.  They'll run slower than if
there are .sos corresponding to the jars.  But if you're running with
the Sun VM then that's irrelevant.
Andrew

One of the plugins refused to run with less than Java 1.5, I have not checked the other in that respect. But what you're saying here, if I get you right, is that if I need Java 1.5, there wouldn't be any advantage in using Fedora Eclipse over the upstream version, but if the Fedora Java stack suffices for the plugins, Eclipse itself would run faster, although the plugins won't benefit. Confused again? :-)

Frode