Re: Eclipse running out of memory, or..?

Charles Tuckey skrev:
On 2/22/07, *Frode Petersen* <fropeter@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:fropeter@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I have a problem that I've tried to figure out, but without much
    progress.

    I run Fedora Eclipse with an UML plugin. Very often Eclipse seems to be
    stuck in some sort of loop where the java VM is using appr. 50% CPU
    (dual core = 100% of one core?). The result is that Eclipse shuts down
    after a few minutes. (This happens with ArgoEclipse and Omondo
    EclipseUML Community Edition)

This sounds to me like a bug in the Eclipse distribution you are using or a bug in the UML plugin. You would have better luck asking this question in a forum for the Eclipse distriubtion or plugin. This mail list is for the Fedora Linux distribution. Your problem is definitely not caused by Fedora.

    I have found some advice suggesting I should try to increase the VM's
    memory, but they use flags with the java... command used to run the
    normal Eclipse. I have not figured out how to do this with Fedora
    Eclipse.

I start Eclipse using a shell script where I set up the environment variables and vm arguments before calling the Eclipse executable.

charlie

Thank you for the answer!

You might be right in the cause for the behaviour, and if I used the pure Eclipse.org version of Eclipse, I would have placed the question there.

But I am using the Fedora version of Eclipse, which is a precompiled version using the java stack included with Fedora, and since it is precompiled, I don't have access directly to the java VM used, thus I can't use a startup script as you suggested. Because of this there should be some means by which I could configure the memory usage and possibly other things regarding that VM. I have not as yet found any conclusive info on where that configuration is done in the Fedora version of Eclipse. Or am I completely confused here?

If I find that this is not a memory related issue, then I will go the road you outlined, but right now I would be greatful for this information.

Frode