From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Don Levey
Sent: 23 February 2007 01:47
To: For users of Fedora
Subject: Re: ESR: Goodbye Fedora- big picture

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 17:06 -0500, Steve Friedman wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:59:16 -0800
> > "John P. Fisher" <john.fisher@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> 3) I guess if I could wave a wand, I'd have a set of common
fundamental
> >> libraries that get shared and maintain compatibility between distro
> >> releases, and everything else would be handled by the applications
> >> themselves. Maybe this is plain dumb, but it sure would be easier
for me...

> > I'd just have every single app have its very own versions of every
library
> > it needs with a reaper that runs around at low priority hard-linking
> > the ones that are identical :-).
> >

> Then you've forgotten the zlib security issues of only 5 years ago.  A

> security vulernability was found in a compression library common to
over
> 500 apps.  Those that dynamically linked to zlib were patched with a
> single upgrade; however, large numbers of apps had to be recompiled
> because they statically linked to zlib.  This was a *major* security
> crisis -- and *many* apps/utilities switched to dynamic linking of
zlib
> (and other common libraries) to avoid this happening again.

As a non-programmer, I'm ignorant of many of the issues involved, but
why can't you say: "if you link against an external library, do it
dynamically" as a rule of thumb?  That way you could replace the library
without needing to recompile.  Unless you want to state for sure that
no-one else will use your library, and not place it in a shared
location, that is.
 -Don

The information contained in this email is intended for the personal and confidential use
of the addressee only. It may also be privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient then you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and
that any review, distribution or copying of this document is strictly prohibited. If you have
received  this communication in error, please notify Brendata immediately on:

+44 (0)1268 466100, or email 'technical@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

Brendata (UK) Ltd
Nevendon Hall, Nevendon Road, Basildon, Essex. SS13 1BX  UK
Registered Office as above. Registered in England No. 2764339

See our current vacancies at www.brendata.co.uk