Re: ESR: Goodbye Fedora

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 09:29:47 +1000,
  Res <res@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Alan wrote:
>
> Yes, but again the US cant enforce its laws against other countries.
> it is not the world govt/world police, and about time they woke up smelt
> the damned coffee and realised that.

Unfortunately for the rest of the world, it can because it has the largest
military and a number of other counties' leaders are willing to make deals
when promised access to the US econmy (thiugh they seem to usually end up
getting screwed when they do this).

> >In addition a US citizen providing the URL of the livna repository is
> >committing an offence (The 2600 magazine case)

The supreme court hasn't ruled on this yet, so there is hope the right case
might get a different answer. 2600 was not seen as a favorable party in
the case and the trial judge was biased. The whole idea that decss actually
stopped real piracy was rediculus as real pirates just make bit for bit
copies of the DVDs.

> NOTE: I do not understand US law, I am not in US, nor am I subject to US
> law so I dont really care too much for it, but it seems reasonable that
> if threatened they could very easily be disolved in US and move to a more
> legally sane and realistic country.

Most likely US corporate interests have influenced your country's laws.
For example if you are in the EU, members are supposed to be enacting DMCA
like laws. Software patents could still end up being forced upon EU members
as well.