Re: Bonehead Move

On 2/13/07, Tod <tod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I love cutting and pasting to and from my xterm.  This time however I
cut and pasted a preceding space from the directory name I was trying to
rm -fr.  Thus I ended up doing rm -fr ./ mydir.  Goodbye home dir.

I quickly shut down and imaged the hard drive onto another server.
Doing a little research I discovered I could mount the image using a
loopback device.  I wanted to try running foremost or some other tool to
see what I could recover.

I got the loopback working and can see all the partitions in the image.
 Since its a volume managed device I'm now stuck.  I can see the
partitions but I can't think of how to get around the lvm part to mount
them and see the actual contents.  I'm not that lvm proficient quite yet.

Does anybody have any hits?  Anybody maybe have some experience making
this type of mistake and have some advice on trying to recover the data
from it?

And yes, I am now in the process of implementing a backup system :(

TIA - Tod