Re: ESR: Goodbye Fedora- big picture

John P. Fisher:
>> 2) a few other rhetorical comments-
>> Isn't this a result of the torrent of new apps that has arrived since
>> RH7-8 and Debian Woody days?

Les Mikesell:
> No, you've just forgotten how bad RH7 and 8 were.  After many, many,
> updates RH7.3 became absolutely rock solid but RH8 was like starting
> from scratch and was never really fixed - they just moved on to 9.

Hear, hear...  And they've done the same, ever since, with Fedora.  How
long does it take for them to see the folly of re-inventing the wheel,
over and over, rather than straightening the kinks?  About 7 versions of
Fedora, it seems, if we believe the comment about some changes in when
and how the next Fedora release will be managed.

>> Isn't this fundamentally the same shared library disaster that they call
>> dll-hell on Windows? Boy howdy that Windows repository was a great
>> solution...

> It's a different version of the same problem.  Linux shared libs have a
> versioning scheme that lets different apps run the versions each needs
> at the same time.  Unfortunately, there is no coordination among
> repositories to make this work with anything that replaces a library
> that is also in core or extras, so RPM sees conflicting versions of the
> same thing.

It seems to be a fundamental problem with Linux that they make all sorts
of things really independent on other installed things, instead of
compiling into the application that you're using the features from the
libraries they're using.  I understand the benefits of using separate
supporting libraries, but tend to appreciate the benefits of an
all-in-one executable, more.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.