Re: Service DNS and NTP from FC6

Bledsoe, Howard W. CIV (CNRNW) wrote:
We have a nice, new, clean install of Fedora Core 6 -- and want to use it, among other things, as a DNS server and NTP source. I can verify from the console and from SSH sessions that the DNS does resolve correctly, and the NTP daemon does operate correctly. Both DNS and time service do what they're supposed to with respect to the local computer.

However, I am unable to get the box to 'serve' these services. DNS inquiries and NTP inquiries seem to be ignored from both Windoze and other (older) Red Hat boxes. I have told the firewall to allow port 53 and 123 traffic -- and have even disabled the firewall completely (we are not connected to the Internet).

This appears as if the named and ntpd are not listening on their designated ports. Any idea on how I can verify that? How can I make this server serve?

                   TIA, Howard

Communications Project Manager,*/ Navy Region Northwest/*

Try
   netstat --udp -a
from a terminal window and see if indeed the processes are
listening at the appointed ports.  I don't run dns here, but
do run ntp.  You should see several lines indicating that
the ntp program is listening at port 123 (or "ntp") on each
of the interfaces in the machine.