Re: ESR: Goodbye Fedora

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, M. Fioretti wrote:

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 09:59:03 AM +1000, Res (res@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Maybe :), but he has a couple things I agree with, RH/Fedora is losing
ground on desktop share, because people want things to just work,

"things to just work" and "bleeding edge by design" just cannot mix,

They can, there is no reason at all, lets say a media player software wont, well unless you bastardise it like Fedora does, once you start ommitting parts of the authors original known working code, you no longer have a working guarantee.

In this sense yes, Fedora is not, can not, and does not want to be the first
distribution for Windows refugees.

Correct, unlike RedHat X.XX days. This is why Fedora has lost a very significant hold of desktop.

Secondly, the version upgrade is messy

This I cannot comment on. I've always installed each version from
scratch, because of all the horror upgrade stories I've been reading
(for any distro...) since the 90's...

I've had no problems in the 90's with slackware, since 2.0 at least.
though yes it was alot harder back in those days.

--
Cheers
Res

"We can be Heroes, just for one day" - Davey (Jones) Bowie