Re: ESR: Goodbye Fedora

On Wed February 21 2007 6:02:29 pm M. Fioretti wrote:
> * failure to maintain key repositories in a sane, consistent
> state from which upgrades might actually be possible.
>
> * Adding another layer of complexity, bugs, and wretched
> performance with yum

Well, here's an immediate 'hot-off-the-press' report for you:
For some reason, Smart has been having a problem on this
particular machine for a couple to three weeks. I hadn't had
time to really dig in - the symptoms were that it would take
forever to refresh itself, there would be very long delays in
the process, so many CPU cycles being used that screen re-draws
were being inhibited, and so forth; Effectively, I haven't been
able to complete an update with Smart for nearly 3 weeks. Today,
I fired up Yumex and ran a system update - this hadn't been done
in some 2-3 weeks due to the Smart problem; Yumex found 153
packages that needed updating, one of which was Smart, and went
throught the process without a hitch in about 35-45 minutes.
Generally, I upgrade my machines every day - I run four Fedora
boxes right now. Apart from the above described issue, I almost
never experience problems with yum or with repos except for the
occasional delays in propagating to the mirrors. Now, I don't
run the exact same mix of packages that ESR does, and so, his
experience could be different - but, I would add that I'm one of
those who fought for the "Everything" install option, and tend
to run my machines with a lot of software installed - so, I'm
not sure what he's talking about. Since today's update, Smart
has now started working properly, again.

I've also tried 40+ other distros and have several running right
now. They all have issues.

I tend to lean against the hard-nosed "only-free-software"
position, but, I respect it and don't find it so difficult to
work around.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, Md, USA