x-mame (gxmame?)

Looking to put together a system for MAME and I refuse to run it under "windbloze" Anybody have any experience installing xmame under Linux? specifically under Fedora Core and what gotcha's to look out for.

My goal is to make this a stand along system only for xmame so that it will boot up into the xmame or gxmame memu.

TIA

Jeff