Re: limitation of user a/c ( telnet service ) now drifted to webserving

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 22:54 +0800, edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> If I want to config the web service, eg : http://www.abc.com, then the
> actual location is /home/abc/html/All_of_homepage_files...
> So, how to operator every web user account similar with above
> setting ?

Some of what you want is getting lost in translation.  Are you wanting
different people to have their own files in there?  Different people to
edit common files?  One person editing the HTML files?  Something else?

An easy solution for users to have their own websites is for them to use
a "public_html" directory in their homespace, and to configure Apache to
allow userdirs.  They'll get a sub-directory off the domain:

e.g.  http://www.example.com/~john/
      http://www.example.com/~jane/

If you wanted each user to have their own domain name, that'd require
more configuration (DNS records, and the Apache webserver
configuration), then you could have addresses like:

     http://john.example.com/
     http://jane.example.com/

The "file permissions" thread is discussing Apache at the moment, you
might want to have a look at that.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.