Re: No Video

Phil Meyer wrote:
Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
I installed Fedora 6 yesterday and when booting up, there is no video.
The monitor is on (indicator light is green). During the install, it
correctly identified the video card so I assume it loaded/installed the
correct drivers for it.
Anyone ever experience this?

Thanks!

I suspect that rhgb (red hat graphical boot) is the issue.

My first thought too...

Boot to a rescue CD, do the chroot, edit /etc/grub.conf, or /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub/grub.conf if ya don't wanna do the chroot thing.

You don't need to go that far. At the Grub menu, press 'A' and use the cursor and delete keys to remove the "rhgb" part of the line, and add a "3" (without the quotes) at the end of the line. Then hit enter to boot just the once with that modified commandline.

This will stop the graphical boot progress display AND stop you starting X after boot. Log in with the text login prompt and start meddling. I guess I would first

 - edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to remove the rhgb bit permanently

 - try "telinit 5" to start X, maybe it can work (probably not)

- if it wasn't happy, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the video driver to "vesa", try again

-Andy