Re: Getting e-mail from GMail but without keeping messages

Paul Smith writes:

On 2/15/07, Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Is there some e-mail program to get e-mail from GMail, but without
> > > keeping any message stored in the local hard disk?
> >
> > You mean, like, a web browser?
>
> Yes, likewise Evolution when it is used as an e-mail client connected
> to a MS Exchange Server: no message is locally stored.

So is there any reason why a web browser won't do?

Not important reasons, really, but I usually prefer an e-mail client
because it is lighter and perhaps faster. And all other reasons why
everybody, whenever possible, prefer an e-mail client instead of
webmail.

Cone, which is in Extras, supports POP3 with or without downloading messages locally.

But you'll find that if you set up a direct POP3 account, since then you'll need to hit Gmail every time you want to look at each message. And if you want to download messages from Gmail's POP3 mailbox, and page through it locally, this is no different than what Thunderbird, and every other traditional mail client does.

So, after you've wasted a lot of time you will conclude that it's not really faster to access mail directly, on-demand, from an external POP3 maildrop, and you'll go back to either Gmail's web interface, or Thunderbird.