Question about DST changes in the US

I've got several different flavors of Fedora Core running both at home and
work and have been researching how to make changes to when it switches
from standard time to daylight saving time.  The only thing I found was
that it links to files under /usr/share/zoneinfo but those don't look like
text files.  how do I edit those files and then compile them to make the
DST changes at the right time?

Or, is there another fix for this?  Is there a patch or updated RPM to
replace the files in /zoneinfo?

Thanks,
Kerry Miller
Victoria, TX