Re: Auto mail bouncer for testing

James Wilkinson wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

In order to use the ones I investigated, one must permit placement
of third-party permanent cookies.

Doesn't seem to be true with Google. On the other hand, Google ads get
on enough web-pages that a Google cookie can track you pretty well
anyway.

Google places no coookies on my machine.

Any time any website wants to retrieve those cookies, it can.

Not strictly true -- only the "third party" can retrieve the cookies,

Umm, I guess I presumed you would know that I meant "Any time any
website wants to retrieve [one of those] cookies [it placed]".

[snip]

I presume that you occasionally go through your cookie list and block
the sites you don't recognise?

I block all cookies. There are no cookies on my machine.

I wrote:

I use my Gmail account for Fedora lists -- it's no secret that I'm on
this list!

Mike asked:

Explain how to use it without exposing my machine to cookie placement
which can be used by third parties, and I'll reconsider.

1. Get a Gmail account. (Maybe use a different browser to sign up).
2. Set it so you can download all e-mail using POP3, and send using SMTP.
3. Clear all the cookies from the browser, and use a real mail client to
send and receive in the future.

I use Fetchmail so that list e-mail comes into Mutt as normal, and don't
normally send through Gmail.

Hope this helps,

It isn't explicit, but it does outline a procedure which might
work. It does not, however, explain how to do it without exposure
to placement of cookies. I guess you didn't read what I wrote
quite carefully enough. You describe how to clean up the trash
after exposure, which I was already aware of.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.