Re: password

Mike McCarty said the following on 02/13/2007 12:05 PM Pacific Time:
Robert Anderson wrote:
On 2/19/98, Robert Stevens <stevens8136@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I purchased a computer on ebay with Fedora core. The Fedora core boots up, but asks for a user name and password and I can't go any further. The seller is not helpful. Is there any way I can get past the user name and password. This is a gateway computer. The computer is useless to me as it
is.
Bob

Sorry to reply "through you" Robert.

One way to deal with this is to boot from a LiveCD like Knoppix
and chroot then change the root password to what you want, and add
a user for yourself. Then reboot, and log in as your new user.
Then you can use "su -" to change to root, and give yourself
sudo priviledge, and open up any files you want by chmod'ing
them to allow your user access.

Mike

If there is no password on the bootloader you don't need a live CD.

Edit the grub entry at boot time by adding a "1" to the end of the line with begins with "kernel"

This will boot Fedora into single user mode.  Type "passwd" at the prompt and enter your new root password.

John