Adding Color / colour to my prompt

Hello,

I want to have a promt that changes colour depending on the user that logs in.

I have added the following to the /etc/skel.bashrc and my other users
.bashrc files.

  if [ "$USER" == "root" ]; then
    PS1="\[\033[0;31m\]\u@\h:\w\\$\[\033[0;37m\] "
  else
    PS1="\[\033[0;32m\]\u@\h:\w\\$\[\033[0;37m\] "
  fi

this works great through putty but when using a gui the font changes
to grey which is hard to read, this is due to the ansi color 37m, how
can I add a check to see if I am using a putty terminal session or an
X terminal session?

Any one got any other great tips for changing the prompt?

Paul