Re: FC6 on Intel iMac (ATI Radeon X1600) desktop effects?

In hope of getting the desktop effects to enable...

I just downloaded the driver(s) for the ATI Radeon X1600

from:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html

The site said these are for Linux... is there any reason why these won't work for FC6? I'm not at home now but will try it later. Please warn me now if I shouldn't install it!

Thanks_
Ryan

Main problem:

I'm having some trouble with my ATI Radeon X1600 (VRAM: 128 MB. Resolution: 1680 x 1050. Depth: 32-bit Color). And my resolution is stuck at 1400 x 1050? I can boot into graphical user mode no problem, but I can't enable desktop effects. Do I need to change some configuration somewhere? Or do I need to install AIGLX Y COMPIZ/AIGLX and BERYL or something like that? I thought that if my graphics carded wasn't going to work with Fedora that it wouldn't work at all. I would really love to get this working.

More:

Les, thanks. I checked into VMware for Mac but it's not quite the approach I wanted.

I went ahead and just deleted my Windows partition and used the free space for Fedora. I installed FC6 from DVD (32bit version /64bit wouldn't install) Installation was wonderful.

No errors until the end. It auto-detected my soundcard but I couldn't hear anything.

Once booting up, I was able to get the sound working by just playing around with the Alsa mixer a bit. Had to check-mark the 'line is as output' box. I can play audio cds from the cd drive but can't play mp3s. I'm guessing there is some sort of an encoding that I either need to set or install? Same problem with movie files (mov, avi, mpeg, etc.).

Also, I'm having some trouble with my ATI Radeon X1600 (VRAM: 128 MB. Resolution: 1680 x 1050. Depth: 32-bit Color). I can boot into graphical user mode no problem, but I can't enable desktop effects. And my resolution is stuck at 1400 x 1050? Do I need to change some configuration somewhere? Or do I need to install AIGLX Y COMPIZ/AIGLX and BERYL or something like that? I thought that if my graphics carded wasn't going to work with Fedora that it wouldn't work at all. I would really love to get this working.

Sorry for all the questions in one email. I'll stop here and hope that someone can help me out!

Thanks!

Ryan

p.s. Parallels in MacOSX isn't booting FC6 -but that's not so important right now.

Ryan wrote:
Hello Fedora User Community! I'm currently using a 20-inch iMac 2GHz Intel Core Duo~ I would really like to figure out how to get Fedora running on it as soon as possible. I have looked online for others who have already installed Fedora on an iMac but couldn't find anything. But, I've noticed that people have installed Fedora on PPC Macs and other Intel models... Can anyone tell me what kind of trouble I might experience while trying to install this on my system? Or could someone possibly point me to some site which has all of the details I need to know!? <",)

Also, if I can install Fedora on my iMac without experiencing any major issues,
would I need to use the 64 bit version (x86_64) or the 32 bit (i386)?
My iMac has Intel Core Duo, not Intel Core 2 Duo~ it's not the latest model.

Maybe I should mention that I'm currently running an up-to-date version of Mac OSX and also Windows XP~ I would prefer to keep the existing OS' and just create another partition for Fedora.

Thank you to anyone in advance who can help me figure this one out!

This may or may not be the approach you want, but the commercial 'parallels' program will run fedora and windows as virtual machines under OSX so you can be running all 3 at the same time. You can also do this with VMware which has a free beta download available at
http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/
(The release version is not expected to be free...). You don't need special partitions with the virtual machine approach - the entire machine image is held in normal OSX files.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx

Check out all that glitters with the MSN Entertainment Guide to the Academy Awards® http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline2