Re: How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

It is also reasonable for a machine to only need to deliver locally
generated mail.

It wouldn't be much fun if all machines did that.

I like the fact that it is locked down by default. Then again, I can
remember when most mail servers were open relays. You could spoof a
message by telnetting to  port 25 on the mail server you wanted the
message to come from, and feeding it your message. The server would
then happily relay the message to the destination, and it would have
all the correct headers...

Sendmail does not relay unless you explicitly permit it to by defining the addresses allowed in the access database or set up smtp authentication - and it hasn't for years.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx