Re: Dell's w/o OS - where?

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Jamie Bohr wrote:

The Super Micro's we bought three years ago are dieing right and left.  We
are now buying Dell and quite happy.  Dell system we bought 5 years ago are
still running.

Which is not evidence that newer Dell's will last as long as the ones they sold 5 years ago.

Are those Super Micro's dying of leaking electrolytic capacitors?
I've seen too many leaky or bulging capacitors. One P-III system refused to boot after a few capacitors showed signs of bulging tops. I replaced the system board and set the old one aside. I recently took another look -- after a year of sitting idle, all the electrolytics were bulging, which suggests an aging process with a finite lifespan.

The Optiplexes we bought 5 years ago are all still running, with a couple disk replacements. Optiplex and PowerEdge bought 3 years ago are much less reliable, as are white box machines purchased at the same time.

Many components have 3-year warranties. It is hardly surprising that moving parts are optimized for a 3-year working life, and there is no reason for vendors to avoid components that tend to die shortly after 3 years. Some organizations are starting to ask for 4-year warranties. If you want to know which machines are engineered to last, ask how much a 4-year warranty will cost.

At least if you run FC linux and your system dies every 3 years you don't end up buying another copy of the OS. Windows users should ask for a break on the software licenses when replacing failed machines. In my experience, however, many organizations install linux on older hardware that no longer performs acceptably running Win32.

--
George N. White III  <aa056@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>