Re: Samba, connection is slow but copying files is fast.

Marcel Janssen wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2007 17:03, Bob Chiodini wrote:
>> Do you use the deadtime parameter in /etc/samba/smb.conf?  If so, you
>> may want to lengthen the deadtime or delete it entirely.  See man smb.conf.
>
> I didn't know this parameter and will check it out.
>
>> Additionally, since you are using DHCP, do you assign the same IP
>> address to the server each time it re-ups its address?  You probably
>> should.  Linksys probably has a method of "fixing" IP addresses to MAC
>> addresses.   Otherwise, the Windows browser mechanism comes into play.
>> That could result in long name to machine resolution times.
>
> Just to try, I have assigned fixed IP addresses to the samba server and
> clients. Now everything is fine, so I guess it really has something to do
> with lookup of name vs IP. Since I also use laptops that I like to keep using
> DHCP for I'll further investigate the issue but at least have a clue now to
> what I should be looking for.
>
> Thanks,
> Marcel

If you are running the DHCP server on the Linux machine, then using
something like dnsmasq as your name server and DHCP server can be
handy. It takes care of mapping the IP addresses it servers to the
names. Another way to do it is to have the DHCP server give fixed
addresses based on the MAC address to each machine, and then
populate /etc/samba/lmhosts with the name/IP mapping.

Normally, the nmb daemon that is part of the Samba package takes
care of name/IP mapping for NetBIOS names... But this may not work
if the Linux machine is not the master browser, or if some of the
machines are using other protocols besides NetBIOS over tcp/ip.

Mikkel